||Court Clerk Assistant (B-Shift & C-Shift)
|Job Requisition Number
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent plus four (4) years of related experience
- Associates degree plus two (2) years of related experience
Licenses and Certifications Required:
|Notes to Applicants
The City of Austin employment application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please be sure to detail on the application all current and previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- The Employment Record should be complete with job titles, employment dates, job duties, functions and responsibilities for each position held. Starting salary will be based on overall relevant experience from your application.
- Résumés will not be accepted and statements such as “see résumé” will not be accepted. You may use “N/A” for fields that are not applicable.
- Please note that Austin Municipal Court may close the job posting at any time after 7 days from the date of the initial advertisement.
- Once the job posting has closed, applications cannot be changed.
Skills assessments may be used to determine selection for interview process after initial applicant review.
This position will require a pre-employment Criminal Background Investigation (CBI)
Working with the City of Austin provides a number of health and welfare benefits such as low-cost medical, dental, vision, paid leave time, a highly competitive retirement plan, training opportunities and more. Please click HERE for more information.
This position is eligible for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSF) Program. This program is a federal program that is intended to encourage individuals to work in public service by forgiving the balance of their federal student loans.
To learn more about the Court Clerk Assistant positions at Austin Municipal Court, please watch this videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=944iAG0EMys
$21.38 – $24.03 per hour
Please note: The hours for this position, after initial training period, will be one of the following shifts: 9:30 pm – 6:00 am, (days off to be determined) or 1:30pm-10pm Thursday- Monday (days off to be determined). This work location is at the Travis County Jail facility, located at 10th and Nueces
|Job Close Date
|Type of Posting
|Grant Funded or Pooled Position
||6800 Burleson Road, Building 310, Ste 175 Austin, TX 78744
- Experience handling monetary transactions (cash, credit card, checks, money orders, etc.).
- Experience performing multiple tasks using multiple computer programs (such as: Word, Database systems, Excel)
|Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Responds to customers regarding legal options to satisfy cases, including fines, trials or hearings, drivers safety, deferred dispositions, warrants, extensions, jail bond outs, posting of bonds, filing motions and others as appropriate to criminal and administrative case types.
- Updates case files in the Court’s case management system as contact is made with customers, judges, prosecutors, defense attorneys, witnesses and others.
- Applies payments as appropriate, balances cash drawers, and prepares deposits of considerable amounts of money daily. Reviews financial information and applications to negotiate with customers to set-up payment plans to include weekly monitoring.
- Coordinates with prosecutors and police officers their availability to schedule hearings, trials and appearances on dockets.
- Prepares official court documents to prepare for court cases. Prepares cases for transfer to other courts as appropriate. Contacts defendants, prosecutors, defense attorneys, officers and others regarding court appearances and non-compliance issues. Researches names, addresses and telephone numbers of defendants using various databases to facilitate contact and case compliance.
- Assists judge in courtroom, monitors and attends to juror needs, coordinate courtroom activity (including maintaining order).
- Generates complaints (official charging instruments), prepares summons and subpoenas, and prepare paperwork such as defendants histories for use at appearance docket.
- Monitors cases for compliance, process cases in accordance with legal requirements, and prepares documentation for judges and prosecutors, including warrant of arrest.
- Compiles data/information, tracks and monitors for performance measures and/or reports.
- Investigates and recommends resolution of procedural and operational problems.
Responsibilities – Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:
|Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of appropriate laws, policy or procedures dependent on circumstances.
- Knowledge of court proceedings.
- Knowledge of city practices, policy and procedures.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in using computers and related software.
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
- Ability to handle hostile or difficult customers.
- Ability to retain knowledge of historical laws and procedures.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to use document scanners and related software applications.
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse groups of individuals utilizing tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public.
- Ability to exercise discretion in confidential matters.
|Criminal Background Investigation
||This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
|Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
||the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.