Municipal Court Director
Link to Apply: https://garlandtx.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Garlandcareers/details/Municipal-Court-Director_JR100004?q=municipal+court+director
Responsible for directing the non-judicial operations, and business functions of the Municipal Court in a fair, courteous and efficient manner. Position will provide support to Municipal Court Judge’s Office.
To learn more about the position, department and the Garland community, click on the link below to review the recruitment brochure.
The salary will be market competitive depending on qualifications and experience. The total rewards package includes director-level perquisites and a variety of leave and insurance benefits, including free access to the CityCare Clinic for covered employees and dependents, an award-winning wellness program and a generous 2:1 employer match in the Texas Municipal Retirement System (TMRS)*. In addition, the City offers a voluntary 457(b) deferred compensation plan, flexible spending account, tuition reimbursement and more. Reasonable relocation benefits may be provided to the chosen candidate.
*The City participates in the Texas Municipal Retirement System (TMRS) at a mandatory employee deposit rate of 7% and an employer matching ratio of 2:1.
All inquiries related to the recruitment and selection process for this position should be directed to the attention of the City’s Human Resources Department.
Lilly Clarke, HR Administrator Talent@GarlandTX.gov
Essential Job Functions
- Manage and direct the Municipal Court Administration operation, support services and compliance.
- Ensure the Court is in compliance with local, state and federal rules and laws.
- Ensure defendant and citizens needs are met in an efficient and courteous manner.
- Develop, coordinate and implement the objectives of the department including performance measures and service improvements.
- Keep abreast of legislative changes as well as process improvements and implement into action as needed.
- Oversee the annual operating budget; analyze revenue projections and monitor department expenditures.
- Evaluate staff performance, assess training needs and develop improvements to workflow.
- Oversee departmental tasks and projects to make sure deadlines are met.
- Act as liaison to City management and Judges concerning reporting and Court related activities.
- Collaborate with City Marshal to ensure security of court/office environments.
- Ensure Municipal Court facilities are properly maintained.
Minimum Education & Work Experience
ϖ 4 year college degree
ϖ 8 years experience in a Court environment
ϖ 5 years of supervisory/management experience
ϖ TMCEC Level II Court Certification or ability to obtain within one year of employment
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
Preferred Knowledge - Abilities & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Public Administration, Law or related area of study
- 8-10 years experience in Court environment progressively
- 5 years management experience in public and/or court administration (customer service and revenue collection)
- TMCEC Level III Certification
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of court case management and court services workflow requirements.
- Considerable knowledge of court case management software and maintenance of software.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of public administration and the policies and practices of the judicial system and/or municipal court systems
- Considerable knowledge of the rules and laws relating to Municipal Court accounting
- Considerable knowledge of municipal government court services operations
- Proficient skill in Microsoft Office Products
- Proficient skill in Accounting & Cash handling practices
- Ability to analyze procedures and determine impact of proposed changes to improve Court operations
Licenses & Certifications
ϖ Valid Class C Texas driver's license
Physical Tasks & Working Conditions
The incumbent works in a typical office environment; because the work environment requires face-to-face interaction with customers the incumbent may be exposed to high stress non-violent confrontational situations. The incumbent is expected to adequately use verbal skills to defuse interpersonal confrontation or conflict.